Saturday, October 18, 2008

Google's Android might eventually make me a cellphone user


The phone is called HTC G1, the Google mobile operating system is Android. But it all ends up being called Google Android.

Lifehacker does a software review (A Hands-on First Look at Google Android), Gizmodo the hardware review (T-Mobile G1 Google Android Phone Review), and T-Mobile offers an Emulator you can play with to get a feel for it. David Pogue of the Times does the overview: A Look at Google's First Phone.

Sniffing comparisons to the iPhone in these reviews elude me, but I've never been tempted by one. I'm such a proponent of open source that Apple's proprietary everything has been a must to avoid.

I don't own a cell phone -- which astonishes people who assume I'm a tricked-out geek -- but later generations of this one might convert me: A keyboard, browser and lots of familiar Google apps might tip the balance, when there are more network choices than T-Mobile and a robust collection of Android add-ons.

No comments: